Practice run from NJ to PA

Practice run from NJ to PA
Rescued from Trenton, NJ! What a nightmare!

Monday, June 29, 2015

Jen Charlie and the Basin

It was with deep sadness that I had to leave Atlantic City without Charlie who needed to attend to personal matters. Although we had not ridden side by side because he is much faster, I had begun to look forward to seeing him at dinner stops or sharing campsite or hotel costs. I have ridden for days and have not seen another ride since Charlie at Atlantic City.
...anyway, I left Atlantic City around 8-9 pm so avoid high heat and headwinds in the BASIN. I never understood what all the Basin meant and was totally caught off guard. There is a pretty significant climb out of Atlantic City that took me awhile since I was still sad about departing and going into Basin at night solo. Of course my GPS was acting up and telling my mind that I was off course. I must have gone up and down that first section 2-3 times before I just went forward and said the heck with it. So, I am finally on course. All the sudden the lightening starts and then the rain. What the heck. I never thought about the weather. I was thinking Basin meant desert like....why would it be raining.
It got so bad that I started screaming REALLY... At the top of my lungs. I was so angry I couldn't even think of crying. My goal was to go 26 miles and sleep at Diagnus Well. Well I never found the well, but I did crash out from deep Truck tire trenches. It was now about 2 am and time to just suck it up and camp.
I looked up and saw 4 stars and then the rain stopped. What a blessing. So I got my sleeping gear out and set up a little camp on the side of the road. I look left and right and all I could see were glowing pairs of eyes everywhere. Oh jeez. I asked them all not to eat me while I rested and told them they had night guard watch and that I would take back over after daybreak.
All said and done. I wouldn't do the Basin solo at night. I would wait until about 330 am and then have until 10 pm. Too many things can go Wrong and navigation is very tricky in the middle section

No comments:

Post a Comment