Practice run from NJ to PA

Practice run from NJ to PA
Rescued from Trenton, NJ! What a nightmare!

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Hello from Salida

Thank you everyone for cheering me on. It's been a long 2-3 days as you have seen from my tracking. My mind is a blur right now, but I do recall leaving Breckenridge Conoco gas station where I ate dinner around 800 pm. I then headed up Boreas Pass which seemed to go relatively well. It was actually very beautiful from the Pass because you could see all of the city light below. The wind was pretty wicked up there with the elevation around 11,400. After the Pass, is where my problems started. Probably because it was rocky singletrack and almost midnight. I pretty much kept one cheek on the seat and one foot on the ground and scooted through the rough sections. It was pretty straight forward until other roads started coming into play without signs....Somehow I started climbing a hill for nearly a mile when I finally there in the towel for the night. I found a spot at 11,000 ft to try to set up tent and rest. I nearly froze to death because my body was still cooling down and sweating and not much area for heat to escape sleeping bag. I finally was so cold, I got up to try to figure out what road I was on and backtrack to cover all tracks. Of course there was a stream crossing at 445am with glacier cold water. Yes, I was absolutely frozen. I immediately took off my shoes and socks and used quart size  food bags on my feet to induce some heat.
...I finally made my way to Como but they had no services. Next up was Hartsel which had a cafe.
....will continue in morning , I can't keep my eyes open
Love jen

1 comment:

  1. Jen, doing great as we knew you would! Your article was in the paper this morning...well written and very inspirational!!! Stay safe...George and Mike

    ReplyDelete